I’m not sure what has come over me, but this year I’m looking forward to celebrating Chinese New Year.
If you don’t know what I’m talking about, we will celebrate the Lunar New Year (aka Chinese New Year) in two weeks time.
In the past few years I’ve dreaded the celebrations, but this year feels different.
A few nights ago I was watching some Chinese New Year songs on TV and Poey Chin looked at me really funny.
I told her the songs made me feel happy, but I couldn’t explain why.
Maybe it’s one of those things that happen to you as you become older.
What I Look Forward To
- Family reunions
- Chinese New Year dishes and snacks
- KL will be free of traffic jams
- The week-long holiday
- Some free time to do some home improvements
- Watching Chinese movies on TV
What I’m Dreading
- Traveling outstation, with possibility of traffic jams along the way.
- Chinese New Year tax on food and service prices
- Gaining weight after over-eating
- Going back to work after the one week break
Next year is going to be the year of the Rabbit, and I read in the newspaper that people are trying to source for rabbit meat. Gasp that’s something I won’t want to eat because I used to have this rabbit soft toy when I was young.
I’m starting to plan how to spend each of the precious holidays. I don’t want to realize I’ve wasted the whole week. I’d be really disappointed and upset with myself if that happens.
Are you looking forward to Chinese New Year? Why or why not?
Photo By: Gary Tamin