I?EUR(TM)ve just upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S firmware from version 2.2 (DXJPA) to version 2.2.1 (DXJPE). Some improvements for the 2.2.1 firmware include:
- Lag fix (oh-yeah!)
- GPS fix
- Upgrades to Contacts, Camera, Video and Music Player, Browser, Gallery, YouTube, Phone Dialer and Keyboard
This is a follow-up to my previous guide on upgrading firmware from 2.1 Eclair to 2.2 Froyo using Kies.
Note: This guide applies to SGS GT-I9000 phone bought from Malaysia. I am not sure if it applies to phones from other countries.
As usual, make sure your phone battery is (more or less) fully charged, and you have a stable Internet connection.
- Download the new Samsung Kies version 184.108.40.20611_16_5. The old Kies isn’t even smart enough to know it needs to be updated.
- If you have an older version of Kies, you will need to uninstall that before installing the new one.
- Connect your phone via USB to your computer. If Kies cannot detect your phone, you can refer to this hub page to fix that problem.
- Start Kies, Kies will inform you that a new firmware is available for your phone. The new version will be PDA:JPE and PHONE:JPB.
- Click Update, accept the terms and conditions, proceed without saving phone numbers and click Next.
- You will be given an option to backup your data. You should do this. I’ve recently done a backup, so I just skipped some of them.
- Click OK and the download will start.
- Wait for Kies to download the firmware from the Internet. It took me 15 minutes. How long you wait will depend on your connection speed and Samsung’s server load. Don?EUR(TM)t disconnect your phone from your USB cable, guard it with your life!
- After Kies completes the download, a yellow “downloading” sign will appear on your phone for 3 minutes. Don’t turn off your phone even if the building is on fire!
- Your phone will reboot and you will see a lot of system text as the phone updates some files. It will then stay at the startup “S” animation for about 3 minutes.
- Done! The Froyo version will still be 2.2 but you will see DXJPE as the firmware.
- At this point you can safely disconnect your phone from your PC.
The phone is really much faster. This is what I really wanted. The only lag seems to happen when the media scanning process takes place.
All the great new features of Froyo 2.2, yet faster than a rooted and lag-fixed 2.1.
I just opened my media gallery and all the photos fly on the screen.
I will be writing a follow-up to this post next week so share my usage experience after upgrading, so stay tuned!
You need to perform this upgrade to fix some issues that have been bugging you, especially the lagging.